Question groups - introduction
From LimeSurvey Manual
Revision as of 13:48, 15 December 2017 by Cdorin
Create question group
There are two ways through which you can start adding question groups to your survey:
- Access the Overview tab from the survey settings menu. Locate the add new group button in the Survey summary section and create your question group:
- Access the survey structure page and locate in the left menu the add question group button.
After you click on it, the add question group panel will be showed up:
Please note that you can create as many groups as you like!
The following fields will be displayed:
- Title: Type in this box the name you wish to give to the question group;
- Description: This field allows you to publish an explanatory note for any set of questions. If you add a description, it will be presented along the survey, before commencing any of the questions in that group. If no text is added, then public participants will simply move straightaway to the survey questions. You can use the HTML editor to include images, formatted text, etc. to your liking;
- Ranzomization group: To start randomizing a question group, enter a string into the field such as randgroup1. You will need to enter that same string in all question groups that you want to randomize and which will then appear in a random order when taking the survey. Only places inside the same group will be randomly switched!
- Relevance question: You can set in this field a "relevance equation" for the group with the help of the Expression Manager. This is helpful for "looping" or other cases where you are repeating similar content multiple times. For example, say you want to ask the same set of follow-up questions for each child in a household and you have asked how many children are there via a question named numKids. Then, for each group of follow-up questions you would have to use relevance equations (which would collect data about the third child) such as: numKids == 3;
Add question group toolbar
You may find on the top toolbar the following options:
- Display/Export: This function is used to export your whole survey into different formats;
- Survey participants: Clicking on this button will redirect to your survey participants table;
- Responses: If the survey is active, the button becomes visible. It offers you access to the responses table;
- Import a group: Besides the two ways mentioned above, new question groups can also be added via the import group function.
Import a question group
You can also import a question group (.lsg file format) that was previously exported from a LimeSurvey survey. First, access the add question group option and then locate on the top toolbar the import question group function:
Browse your computer/server and upload the .lsg file that contains the question group you wish to import.
Question group actions
After the creation of a survey, you can access the newly created group from the survey structure menu. The following page will be displayed:
The page can be divided in three sections:
- Question group toolbar: You may find on the toolbar the following options:
- Preview survey/question group:
- Edit current question group:''
- Check survey logic for current question group:
- Delete current question group:
- Export this question group:
- Group summary: It presents the details of the main quest
- Group quick actions: It allows the you to quickly perform question-groups-related actions:
- Add new question to group: