GSoC getting started
From LimeSurvey Manual
This page was created for GSoC applicants to give them all the information they need to get familiar with LimeSurvey and create a successful application for the GSoC program.
The most important links first:
- Create a personal account on the limesurvey.org website here (if you don't have one): Click here.
- Create a personal account on github.com here (if you don't have one): Click here.
- Make sure you subscribe to the limesurvey-developer mailing list. If you want to get notified of any changes in the development source code then subscribe to the limesurvey-github list too.
Show us you can work on LimeSurvey
We don't want students to simply send their applications without talking to us or getting in touch with the community beforehand. We want to see some action up front and there are several ways to show your passion for LimeSurvey:
Fix bugs and perform other tasks that makes you a strong contender for being selected as a GSoC student. We have added a "GSoC" prefix to some simple bugs at our bugtracker. Fixing bugs is a good way to get familiar with the code and see how things work together. If you have problems fixing a bug or you need a first start, don't hesitate to contact us!
Implement New Features
At our idea tracker there are several great ideas submitted by our users which means that they are eagerly waiting for you to implement them. Don't start with rewriting the survey engine, start with simple tasks and get in touch with us before starting to implement minor improvements.
Help Our Users
Communication & Expectations
Students are expected to participate widely and fully in the LimeSurvey development community. They are expected to crack at least one joke during the weekly developers meeting. They are expected to have fun and to look for original and unique ways of improving the software. Most importantly, communicate communicate communicate.
The LimeSurvey Development Environment
How to apply
A very important step indeed, if you want to be selected as GSoC student for LimeSurvey. Pretty obviously, if you don't want to apply we won't be able to help you with GSoC. But if you do, we are always there!
Follow the instructions below:
- Setup LimeSurvey Development Environment and play with it. It will be great if you setup a small survey and test different question types and features.
- By this time you will have some working idea about LimeSurvey, you will surely like some features and find some features lacking in LimeSurvey. Yeah! its just the right time to visit the ideas page and look for the ideas you found lacking. If you dont find your ideas there, discuss your awesome ideas with us in our forums, mailing list or at #limesurvey on irc.freenode.net
- Now contact potential mentors, discuss the idea and prepare your application. See how to write your application.
- Check our Selection Criteria.
- Edit your application if you think it requires some changes after reading our Selection Criteria. Ask your any mentor to review the application and then make the changes as suggested.
- Submit your applications via the Google Summer of Code site
- Take care about deadlines which are listed at this link GSoC 2015 timeline
That's it you're done! Google will announce the list of accepted students for LimeSurvey at Google Summer of Code site at the date mentioned at the timeline above.
No need for you to wait till then. You can start contributing right away! Fix bugs and show us you are the right person deserving to be a GSoC student for LimeSurvey.Good Luck!!